Hello, America! Thanks for sending in your old film!
Do YOU have an old roll of film lying around—in the back of a drawer or tucked in shoebox? Wonder what’s on it? How long has it been sitting there—5 years? 10 years? 15 years? Longer?
Submit it to us! Use our easy downloadable information card (below). FUJIFILM will develop and scan the film free of charge, and get it back to you. You choose one or two images—any one or two you want for any reason you want! Give us a short description of why you picked those images (we’ll guide you with helpful questions). Then see your images become part of a national archive, with the chance of being part of a future exhibition and a national high school curriculum.
Check out these great recent pieces on Lost Rolls America:
A FEW IMAGES FROM OUR MOST RECENT EXHIBITION IN LOS ANGELES…
How It Works
- Download (see link to the right) and print out your Lost Rolls America Information Card. You MUST include this card when you submit your film.
- Place your 1 -2 rolls of film and the Information Card inside an envelope. Any size envelope is fine.
- Mail to the shipping address provided on the Information Card, Attention: Lost Rolls America
- Now wait. You will be notified via email when your film has been processed.
- At that point, follow the link that is emailed to you. There you will find your images in your own private gallery.
- Select your favorite 1-2 images, add your stories, comments, or musings to those pictures. (We’ll guide you with helpful questions.)
- You will be notified via email once your image/s is part of the archive.
- You will have 4 weeks to choose and write about an image to be part of the national project. Ultimately, negatives will be returned to you.
- What happens to my film after submission? Your film is developed and scanned by an authorized FUJIFILM lab, logged with Lost Rolls America, and your negatives are returned to you.
- Am I giving away copyright to my work by submitting? No, you keep copyright and ownership of your photographs. You are only giving Lost Rolls America rights to use your work within the context of the project.
- When will I get my negatives back? Film will be scanned in batches on a quarterly basis; and your negatives will be returned after processing.
- How many rolls can I submit? Up to two rolls per submission.
- What kind of film can I submit? We are accepting 35mm/120mm Black & White and color film, disposable cameras, and E-6 film. No Kodachrome or Advantix film can be processed. If you have a question please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How will the final work be selected for the Lost Rolls America project? Each participant will have an image in the archive and the opportunity to be part of a book and exhibition.
- Is there a fee for submitting? No, there are no fees required for participating in Lost Rolls America.
- What if I can’t remember much about my photo, then what will I write in response to the Lost Rolls America questionnaire? That’s fine. You can use the opportunity to reflect on what you think about the image now.
- What American connection makes me eligible to participate? If you’re living or vacationing in North America, send us your lost rolls. If you’re an American living abroad, send us those lost rolls. Your images do not have to have been shot in America. No American connection? Lost Rolls will be coming to your part of the world soon.
- Any questions? Email us at email@example.com
Get in Touch
Lost Rolls America
Please ship film to:
The Downloadable Information Card.
Download the Lost Rolls America Information Card here
Lost Rolls America
DISCLAIMER FOR PARTICIPANTS
You represent and warrant that you are the sole owner of any film you submit to the Lost Rolls America program, and any images developed or scanned from such film. You acknowledge that by participating in this program, you are granting permission to have selected images from your film posted, published, exhibited and displayed on-line, on the Lost Rolls America website. You represent that no further authorizations, consents or permissions are required for this use, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless FUJIFILM, PhotoShelter, and all entities and persons affiliated with the Lost Rolls America program from any claims or liabilities that might result from the submission of your film or the use of your images in connection with this program.
We will use our best efforts to develop and scan your submitted film. If we are unable to develop and/or scan your film, we will contact you. We do not warrant or guaranty that all film will be able to be developed or scanned, and we do not warrant or guaranty the quality of any images resulting from our development or scanning efforts relating to your submitted film. We are not responsible for film that is stolen, lost or damaged at any time after submission, prior to collection from the collection site, or during return shipping.
In addition, we are not responsible for any lost or damaged film, or any quality defects, whether occurring prior to, during or after processing. Film is submitted at your own risk in connection with the Lost Rolls America program, and you acknowledge this as a condition of your participation given that no compensation whatsoever is required from you for the services being provided. You further acknowledge that we have the right to refuse to develop, scan, post, publish, use and/or return to you any film or image that we determine to be pornographic, obscene, illegal, or otherwise objectionable, and that in the event of any such submission, we reserve the right to contact law enforcement authorities if and as appropriate. You acknowledge and agree that our total liability and your sole remedy relating to your film, your images, and/or your participation in the Lost Rolls America program for any reason whatsoever shall be limited to U.S. $1.00.